Historic Fort Steuben120 S 3rd St.
Steubenville, OH 43952-2920
740-283-1787 | http://www.oldfortsteuben.com/
Protection in the Northwest Territory
Fort Steuben was built in 1786 to protect surveyors sent to map the Northwest Territory.
Historic Fort Steuben was built in 1786 by the First American Regiment to protect surveyors who had been sent by the Continental Congress to map the Northwest Territory from hostile Native Americans in the region. The location was chosen for its defensive position between the Ohio River and several nearby hills and was to act as a gateway from the Eastern United States to the Western Reserve. The fort received its name from Friedrich Wilhelm von Steuben, a Prussian army officer who had assisted General Washington during the Revolutionary War. The fort was destroyed by fire in 1790; in 1797, Bezaleel Wells founded the city of Steubenville on the site.
Today, Historic Fort Steuben is open to the public. The blockhouses for the enlisted men, Federal Land Office, the officers’ quarters, the quartermaster and the artificer’s shops, the guardhouse, the hospital and the commissary depict the daily life of the men who helped open up the new territories to settlement. A frontiersman's camp and a display on surveying including an 1830 survey stone present a broader picture of the significance of the fort. Knowledgeable interpreters present the history and stories that make the tour come alive. Self-guided tours are available.
Notes for Travelers
Along with the fort, the site features Fort Steuben Park, and the Berkman Amphitheater where live concerts are offered during the summer.