Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens714 N Portage Path
Akron, OH 44303-1363
Beauty in Akron
Built between 1912 and 1915, Stan Hywet Hall was the graceful home of the founder of Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company.
Built between 1912 and 1915, Stan Hywet Hall is one of the most well-known landmarks in the Akron area. The house was commissioned by F.A. Seiberling, who along with his brother C.W., founded the Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company. The Tudor Revival mansion incorporates many excellent examples of architecture from the American Country Estate era, which flourished during the industrial revolution. The design and décor of Stan Hywet Hall reflect the tastes and sensibilities of the Seiberling family, especially those of Gertrude, who was a patron of the arts. The name “Stan Hywet” is Old English for stone quarry, and was chosen to reflect the natural features of the land. Throughout its history, the estate served as an important meeting site for internationally famous artists and musicians, as well as Seiberling's business associates. At the invitation of Seiberling's daughter-in-law Henrietta, the estate hosted a meeting between Bill W. and Dr. Bob for a discussion that eventually led to the creation of Alcoholics Anonymous. Today the estate remains a beautiful destination for travelers.Read More
Notes for Travelers
Please visit the Stan Hywet website to see if any special events are being held during your visit. Some tours require a significant amount of walking, including stairs.