Glendower Historic Mansion105 Cincinnati Ave
Warren County Historical Society
Lebanon, OH 45036-2117
513-932-1817 | https://www.harmonmuseumohio.org/our-properties/glendower-historic-mansion-2/
Glendower Historic Mansion
Glendower Historic Mansion is one of the finest examples of residential Greek Revival architecture in Ohio.
Glendower Historic Mansion is one of the finest examples of residential Greek Revival architecture in Ohio. The home’s interior and exterior symmetry and stately columns would have made it stand apart from the quickly-constructed log homes and farmhouses built in the area by early settlers, demonstrating the wealth and social status of those who lived in the home. Along with other homes in the neighborhood, the neoclassical Greek Revival style of Glendower reflects an interest in aligning the new architecture of a young nation with the civic pride and democracy of Ancient Greece and Rome.
Empire and Victorian furnishings from Warren County fill the mansion and help visitors imagine what it would have been like to live or work at Glendower. Lebanon lawyer John Milton Williams and his wife Mary Jane Rigdon Williams who built the mansion in the mid-1840s and lived there with their family. Williams named the home Glendower in honor of the Welsh prince and hero Owen Glendower, who is known for leading a rebellion against the English King Henry IV.
Later owners Durbin and Mary Ann Ward entertained military leaders and politicians with dinners filled with lively conversations. Ladora Scoville Owens made changes to the home in the 1900s, including the installation of electric light fixtures. Throughout time, this impressive mansion continues to enthrall those who step through its doors.
Notes for Travelers
Visit during the annual Civil War Encampment or the Christmas season to see Glendower in a whole different light. Check the museum’s website for more information about these events.