Wyandot Mission Church200 East Church Street
Upper Sandusky, Ohio 43351
The Wyandots and the Methodists
The last Native Americans to be removed from Ohio, the Wyandots farmed their Grand Reserve on the plains around Upper Sandusky until 1843. As the Wyandot converted to Christianity, the Methodist Church built a mission on the reservation.
John Stewart, a free black man, first preached to the Wyandots in 1816. At first, services were held in a council house. When the Methodist Church recognized the congregation as an official mission, a chapel was built in 1824. Designed by the Rev. James B. Finley, the mission church was built by tribal members and white neighbors. The 30x40-foot building was constructed of locally quarried limestone and hand-hewn timbers. A small cemetery behind the church is the final resting place for many mission congregants, including John Stewart.Read More
CreditsCurated by Pat Williamsen
Additional Resources"White, Red, and Black: The Wyandot Mission in Upper Sandusky," Donald L. Huber
Lion of the Forest: James B. Finley, Frontier Reformer, Charles C. Cole, Jr.